Thursday, June 19, 2008

Life

How ya living life? Enjoying your loved ones? Taking time to smell the fireweed? I am. Finally. Life has taken on a new flavor for me in the last couple of weeks. I'm home. Alone. Nancy and Elijah are in Albuquerque spending time with my mother in law, Barb. Bob, my father in law, was taken from us far to quickly on the 30th of May. He fell from a ladder, causing immense damage to his body, and slipped away 30 hours later. I was the only one who could not make it for the funeral or grieving process. That in it's self was a big emotional hurdle for me. How do I say good bye? Am I wrong not to be there? I know what he would say, but still I have this nagging guilt about not being there with my family.

I have a huge amount of respect for the man Bob was. The way he prioritized his life, putting his family first and always making the time to "be there" was, and still is, a source of inspiration to me. This is what I need to do. I guess it's kind of a wakeup call for me. Life moves to fast to be totally focused on what's around the next corner, I need to be "here and now".

So, yeah...I miss Bob. Still having a hard time going through the pictures I have of our last trip to see them. I do cherish the memories I have though. Bob in bunny ears at Easter is one of them. Or quietly watching TV with Holly asleep on his lap. He was quite a guy. A man's man, yet...a man with a huge heart and the capacity to love without reservation those around him. Robert Dean Ostby was truly a great man.

Good bye Dad, I will truly miss you.

Love,

Kevin

2 comments:

Connie Marie said...

It's always hard to lose someone to death, especially one so close.

I am glad you and Nancy had time together with him previous to this sudden change in your family structure.

Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Kevin, Finally found you after all of these years. Email me at; sunshinecna1@yahoo.com. can't wait. Would love to meet you and your family. Donna Lee,NC